Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Full Thrust rules and where to get them

Re: Fighters and Hangers

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:57:55 +0000
Subject: Re: Fighters and Hangers

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:47:42AM -0500, Ryan Gill wrote:

>Men with hoses and ordinance handing gear work the same on an LPH as
>they do on a CV as they do on the ground next to trucks and
>hovercraft. You're probably pumping the same kind of fuels if you're
>smart about your fuel trains.

Ships don't need to be refuelled/recharged. Fighters do.

>This really points to fighter launch facilities needing separate
>costs from their handling and recovery facilities.

Check out "parasite racks" in the WDA:

http://nift.firedrake.org/misc/WDA-Fighters.htm#Parasite

>>Except that according to St^3 Jon fighters aren't 1 mass; they're
>>smaller...
>It's one of those fuzzy sizes that they're effectively 1 mass.

No, I think this is an important distinction. A normal craft in a hangar
bay is taking up 2/3 of it. The fighter is taking up perhaps half, and
relatively more of the volume is support equipment. That's one clear
reason for incompatibility of bays.

Don't forget also that this isn't just "a bay" - it's the bay plus the
share of the power plant that operates it, and consumables storage,
and...

Roger

Prev: Re: Fighters and Hangers Next: Full Thrust rules and where to get them