Prev: RE: *smite* RE: [OT] English As She is Spoke Next: Re: [OT] English As She is Spoke

Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:09:31 -0600
Subject: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

Bad news, we agree about Kay-row.

But then French or German words spoken in Saint Louis borders on
linguistics genocide...

Lemay - Despite the well know USAF general - Lee-May
44 - Farty Far
Spoede - Spade-e
Gravois - Grav-voy

But you should hear them try Spanish...

Roll your "r's" with an Umlat (spelling is optional in California where
grew up...) and you get the idea...

Gracias,
Glenn

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:31:07 -0600 Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu>
writes:

>Hey, it's not always the fault of us hicks.
>
>There's a sign in Nebraska that says 'Welcome to Norfolk'. However,
>about
>half the population currently sez North Fork. That was the original
>spelling as well as pronunciation, but a bureaucrat in the US Postal
>Service changed the name; that was possible once upon... Not that
>every
>edict from Washington goes down well on the plains...
>
>Oh, and next time you're travelling down the Mississippi River, ask
>the
>folks of Cairo, MO, how to say their name. We've got one in NE, and is
>KAY-row.
>
>Strangely enough, my experience is that Norfolk, of the eastern US,
>though
>I can't speak for the UK, is 'Nah-fuk'.
>
>The_Beast

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: RE: *smite* RE: [OT] English As She is Spoke Next: Re: [OT] English As She is Spoke