Prev: Re:[OT] English As She is Spoke Next: Re:[OT] English As She is Spoke

[OT] Pronunciation RE: Laserlight's FT Lite

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:31:07 -0600
Subject: [OT] Pronunciation RE: Laserlight's FT Lite

Hey, it's not always the fault of us hicks.

There's a sign in Nebraska that says 'Welcome to Norfolk'. However,
about
half the population currently sez North Fork. That was the original
spelling as well as pronunciation, but a bureaucrat in the US Postal
Service changed the name; that was possible once upon... Not that every
edict from Washington goes down well on the plains...

Oh, and next time you're travelling down the Mississippi River, ask the
folks of Cairo, MO, how to say their name. We've got one in NE, and is
KAY-row.

Strangely enough, my experience is that Norfolk, of the eastern US,
though
I can't speak for the UK, is 'Nah-fuk'.

The_Beast

Prev: Re:[OT] English As She is Spoke Next: Re:[OT] English As She is Spoke