Prev: Re: Submittal: Rim World Concordium- Long Next: Fighters and Hangers

Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:56:05 -0000
Subject: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

Allan Goodall wrote:

>Given the pronunciation of the word, shouldn't it be spelled "kuller"?
*L*

Re the whole English pronounciation I hope the NAC finds a way round it
or
it could result in some serious misunderstandings...

Two NAC soldiers from seperate battalions meet up, one is from a US
ethnic
colony, the other from a Brit ethnic colony, the Brit one says,

"'Ere mate, could I bum a fag?"

As for the Americans reaction, well from what I understand of the US
translation of the above phrase, could be anything from abject horror to
fisticuffs.

On a more serious note this has happend in the past. During the Korean
war,
specifically the Battle of Imjin, a British liason offficer asked for
air
support and when asked how serious the situation was by an American
officer
replied along the lines of "A tad sticky old chap".

The US officer, understandly enough, failed to realise that "A tad
sticky"
translated in this case as "We are out numbered 50 to 1."

Cheers,

Matt Tope

Prev: Re: Submittal: Rim World Concordium- Long Next: Fighters and Hangers