Prev: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite rules Next: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:45:11 -0000
Subject: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

Allan Goodall wrote:

>For what it's worth, my wife (an American) thinks that the British
Commonwealth uses too many letters in its spellings,
>anyway. She's always commenting on all the extra vowels used in British
and
Canadian spelling.

Whilst of course the Americans take out the correct vowel and leave the
wrong one in, armor instead of armur, color instead of colur. This just
goes
to show that that all English speaking nations have their own, perfectly
good, individual ways of butchering the language. Which is as it should
be.

Doug wrote:

>Proving a Scot's thrift; you get more word then you spell, while the
>English give you a place names like Leicestershire and
Worcestershire...

At least we arn't as bad as the Welsh... But this ties into what Allan's
wife says about too many vowels etc in British English, we have 54 main
dialects (without all the sub dialects)in England alone to cater for in
our
spelling. I think the extra letters were thrown in to keep all parties
happy. And I've met English people who pronounce Gloucestershire as
Glow-cest-er-shire instead of Gloss-te-sher.

And as for the Tasmanian pronounciation of Launceston, it makes my
Cornish
blood boil!

Regards,

Matt Tope

PS- I take it Grasers can share fire controls with regular beams and
pulse
torps, given the relativley low number of FC's used by some of the UN
capital classes. Or is this not the case?

Prev: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite rules Next: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite