Prev: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite Next: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite rules

Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

From: agoodall@a...
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:21:23 +0000
Subject: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite

Doug wrote:

> And, I made a joke about a Scot, and not a comment from Allan. He WAS
> distracted...

I laughed, but I thought the joke didn't need comment. *L*

> >And you spelled "Edinburgh" wrong... (It looks like it's pronounced
> "ed-in-burg", but it's not.)
>
> Proving a Scot's thrift; you get more word then you spell, while the
> English give you a place names like Leicestershire and
Worcestershire...

Not to mention weirdnesses like "St. John" being pronounced "sin-jin".

Of course Scotland has it's fair share of strange place names, but they
aren't so much "overly endowed" with letters as they are hard for the
non-Scot to pronounce, like Drumnadrochit and Auchterarder.

For what it's worth, my wife (an American) thinks that the British
Commonwealth uses too many letters in its spellings, anyway. She's
always commenting on all the extra vowels used in British and Canadian
spelling.

--
Allan Goodall		   agoodall@att.net
http://www.hyperbear.com   agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite Next: Re: Laserlight's FT Lite rules