Prev: RE: (FT) small vs large ships, was YAFS Next: Re: Squadron movement?

Squadron movement?

From: FlakMagnet72 <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:22:19 -0500
Subject: Squadron movement?

Seeing as how the list is already discussing the small vs. large ship

A few of the guys in my FT group has tossed out the idea of moving and
firing
smaller ships as a squadron.  Has this idea been tossed about, dissected
and
explored by this group in the past?  They're interested in both speeding
up
the game as well as making groups of smaller ships more effective when
used
in squadrons for "wolf-packing" the larger ships.

On the surface, they like this idea because a squadron of smaller ships
could
get more dice rolled (thus more damage inflicted) before firing would
get
turned over to the opponent who could use a larger ship's weapons to
quite
possibly "immolate" sections of the small squadron(s).

The idea as we discussed it didn't include any sort of morale rules, nor
were
we inclined to decide at that time what constitutes a "smaller" ship
that is
suited for squadron operations.  More than anything, I would think the
thrust
of a ship would determine it's ability to particpate in a squadron, with
an
upper limit because of the "wake" (EM "noise and radiation) a larger
ship's
drive might create when trying to operate in the close proximity
required by
effective squadron tactics.

I searched the list archives and found:
http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/200210/msg00127.html - Just a sort of
"mention"
of the idea.

http://lists.firedrake.org/gzg/200207/msg00210.html - (Thread) Talks
precisely
about the idea, but makes reference to some sort of morale or crew
quality
rules.

Anything else to add?

--
--Tim
http://geocities.com/flakmagnet72

Prev: RE: (FT) small vs large ships, was YAFS Next: Re: Squadron movement?