Prev: Re: [SG2] Alternate Quick Combat Resolution (Modified Impact Versus Armour Procedure) Next: Re: [FMAS] Is this insane or what? Re: real-life FT playing (was: Re: Fighter Group Turn around time was: YAFS

RE: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:23:41 -0700
Subject: RE: [FT] Yet Another Fighters Suggestion

The problem of that idea is munchkinism - for instance if 200 points of
ships can defeat 150 points of ships most of the time, the side that has
30, ten point ships will almost always defeat the the fleet with 2, 150
point ships, by simply generating a temporary imbalance on the board
(sending 10 one after one ship and twenty after the other).  Based on
current rules, the two 150 point ships won't have more than one or two
firecontrols and will only be able to kill 2 or 4 smaller ships per
turn.

You would have to remove the fire control limitation to further balance
points.

Right now I see the balance being that smaller ships need to be equipped
with weapons that give a lot of bang for the mass, even if they are
short ranged (needle beams, torpedoes, scatterguns), while larger ships
can afford big, long range weapons and will try to stand-off smaller
ships.

The balance is similar to the difference seen between brown and blue
navies.

--Binhan