Prev: Re: [FT] Advanced drives and beams Next: Re: [FT] Advanced drives and beams

RE: [GZG Fiction] Seventy Dead after Freighter Accident

From: "Edward Lipsett \(work\)" <translation@i...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:20:01 +0900
Subject: RE: [GZG Fiction] Seventy Dead after Freighter Accident

Can't find it, but here's a step in the right direction:
http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/NEWSROOM/news/releases/2003/03-009.html

"Although numerous safety measures are in place to prevent this,
spacewalkers face the risk of nitrogen bubble formation in their blood
similar to the threat of decompression sickness faced by scuba divers.
Symptoms in more serious cases include headaches, memory loss and
blurred
vision. The human body normally is exposed to 14.7 pounds per square
inch
(1.034 kilograms per square centimeter) of pressure at sea level. A
spacesuit provides only 4.3 pounds per square inch (0.302 kilograms per
square centimeter) to make movement in the pressurized suit less
difficult.
Additionally, little is known about how the lungs can be affected by
long-term exposure to microgravity - the near-weightlessness of space."

> I read something on the NASA site a long time ago about operations in
> low-pressure environments. Not vacuum, but quite low.
> With breathing systems, that would get rid of a lot of the
> potential danger from fire and explosive decompression.

 Edward Lipsett
 Fukuoka, Japan

Prev: Re: [FT] Advanced drives and beams Next: Re: [FT] Advanced drives and beams