Prev: Re: DS II - Unit sizes? Next: Re: DS II - Unit sizes?

Re: DS II - Unit sizes?

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:41:17 -0500
Subject: Re: DS II - Unit sizes?

At 4:28 PM -0500 1/28/04, John K Lerchey wrote:
>The images helped greatly in clarifying even further.	However, and
please
>forgive my ignorance here, I was looking at two sources recently
(neither
>of which are with me in the office).  A copy of Fine Scale Modeller
with
>an article on Iraqie tank units.  The tanks were given large colored
>boxes, triangles, etc. on the backs and sides of turrets to show which
>platoon and company they were in.  Likewise, in the Vanguard book on
>Bradleys, there are some color plates showing a large chevron (inverted
V)
>on the side of one of the hulls.

Well, the inverted Chevrons were for unified identification of all
Coalition vehicles. The White stars were present on the roof of most
US, British and Russian vehicles for a reason. The Canadians just got
cheeky and turned their stars sideways.

>These are generic enough that I think I can make reasonable decal sets
of
>them.	The items like blue over green boxes with a "44" in it, and
other
>branch/arms markers may be too "nation specific" to do for sci-fi
vehicles
>unless someone comes up with sets specific to the NAC, FSE, etc.

Keep in mind that if you're trying to be realistic, that Divisional
and Brigade notations are more critical than company symbols. Usually
a number works for the platoon/company/battalion. They'll over lap
from brigade to brigade in some cases.

>Do the markers that I plan to make still have value for y'all?  I know
>that I want to use them for my Combine (OGRE) armor battalion in order
>clearly designate armor platoons.  Nothing worse than when I give my
>carefully painted tanks to another player and says, "How do I know
which
>ones belong with which?"  :)

In the case of an Ogre, I'd think that a name would work. Those
things are practically ships.  OO-5, OO-6. OH-11 (ogre or heavy ogre).
-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: Re: DS II - Unit sizes? Next: Re: DS II - Unit sizes?