Prev: RE: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention Next: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention

Re: [Really OT]Peperoni and Citrus

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:17:04 -0600
Subject: Re: [Really OT]Peperoni and Citrus

If that the "Med" Fruit -Fly (I think, some such name anyway) then it
gave agriculture types in California a scare  at the time as big as SARS
did to Singapore recently.  I remember some cities started spraying
'just
in case' until voters said essentially "Just how toxic is that bug
spray?"  Not that spraying is bad, we spray in St. Louis for some
mosquito borne via birds disease (to misquote Mulan," It has a name...
and it's a name i should remember...") for good cause - it's killed
people.  But toxic spraying for a fruit crop even in Califonia is a
stretch

Gracias,

Glenn

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:13:25 +1100 "Alan and Carmel Brain"
<aebrain@webone.com.au> writes:
>From: "Brian Burger" <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>
>
>> I figure the California citrus thing for a scam, anyway. The first
>thing
>> we did when we got into the state proper was to buy more fruit -
>thus
>> keeping those California orchards profitable. Forget biological/pest
>> reasons; it's a marketing ploy!
>>
>> Australia could well have legit bio worries - but California? Doubt
>it!
>
>Funnily enough... we have similar internal quarantine stations around
>our
>fruit-growing areas too. It's to stop the spread of Fruit-Fly, which
>is
>endemic in the local ecology, but which *can* be eradicated in limited
>areas, with much effort.
>As it's relatively easy to keep out Fruit-Fly, and the crop yield can
>increase
>by over a hundred percent if you do even a half-way good job of it, I
>suspect
>that California's quarantine is (or was at one time) legit.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: RE: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention Next: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention