Prev: Re: Jon & [CON] GZG East Coast Convention Next: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention

Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:08:24 +0000
Subject: Re: [CON] GZG East Coast Convention

>Ground Zero Games wrote:
>
>I'm already planning to ship whatever is ready in time by mail in
>advance; the only stuff - if any - that I'll actually have in
>baggage (checked-in, not hand luggage, to avoid any problems about
>pointy metal bits...) is perhaps a few advance samples of any
>last-minute releases that miss the postal consignment, and of course
>they will be gifts for the friends I'm meeting over there...
>
>A polite warning, John (yes, yes, another one). Put any miniatures
>in something easily opened and checked through - and bear in mind
>the people who will be doing the looking. Last summer I took a small
>cache of miniatures to GenCon in my checked luggage, all in
>(labelled) carboard boxes lined with bubble-wrap, clearly telling
>everyone what they were and not having any trouble...until I ran
>into a guy at San Diego aiport who gleefully upended the lot onto a
>solid metal table, shaking the box repeatedly to make sure every
>small piece of easily-damaged metal fell out.	It didn't think you
>/could/ bend a IJN DN's forward hull...and naturally a few pieces
>were lost forever >.<
>
>Sorry to add yet another scare story to the list, but if these are
>all-new stuff or prototypes...

It will only be castings, not anything that can't be replaced. All
will be packed in clear polybags so that they can examine them to
their little hearts' content, and even open them individually if they
have to.

I take it yours were assembled and painted stuff? (Well, at least
they WERE assembled...)  :-(
Did you even get so much as an apology...?

>>I'm coming over to meet some friends (Indy, Jon et al) and attend a
>>SciFi convention  (they probably won't >understand about gaming...).
>
>They might do, actually - in fact, I had more trouble explaining the
>concept of a convention than what went on at it! If in doubt, grit
>your teeth and say "like Games Workshop stuff"...

When I came over for GenCon back in '96, airport security asked about
a bag of figures and I used just that line, to get the response "Oh
yeah, Warhammer stuff, my brother plays that...."  So I guess they do
have their uses occasionally....  ;-)

Jon (GZG)