Prev: Anyone have images of some of the GZG Future Wars line? Next: Re: HEAT...Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds

Re: HEAT...Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds

From: Aaron Teske <mithramuse@y...>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:57:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: HEAT...Re: New 'electrical active' Armour to defeat hand held anti-tank rounds

I don't want to jump *between* the response that may be coming
from Oerjan on this one (that might hurt ^_- ) but I thought I
would offer this quote as a couterpoint to the Jane's reference
below:

"Detailed discussions of the shaped charge concept and an
extensive list of sources (too numerous to list here) are
available elsewhere, e. g., [1], [2], [3], [4]. This concept
is not well understood by people outside the warhead community.
For example, the jet is not a “cutting plasma”, it is not a
liquefied or molten metal jet, the cone does not impact the
armor intact, the jet temperature is not 20,000 C, and the
density of the jet is not several times that of steel, and the
jet does not burn its way through armor, as reported in many
newspaper, TV, and even semi-technical journal articles."

Referencing Ryan's original question as to what material state
best describes the jet (formed from the liner) from a shaped
charge:
"The pressures generated during the liner collapse far exceed
the yield strength of the liner material and thus the liner
behaves approximately as an inviscid, incompressible fluid!"

These are from the introduction to "An Overview of the Shaped
Charge Concept" by William Walters, Department of Mathematical
Sciences, US Military Academy, West Point, NY.	Dunno who he is,
but he self-references a few papers or books at the end, so
presumably he's been doing this for a bit.

This article is located at:
www.dean.usma.edu/math/research/msce/11th_AUTS/papers/Walters.pdf

Hope this helps!
			  Aaron

--- rljoiner@mindspring.com wrote:
> Ryan:  You may find this a bit helpful if anyone questions the
> "plasma" again.

http://www4.janes.com/K2/doc.jsp?t=Q&K2DocKey=/content1/janesdata/mags/i
dr/history/dsm95/dsm00172.htm@current&QueryText=%3CAND%3E%28%3COR%3E%28%
28%5B80%5D%28HEAT+%3CAND%3E+warheads+%3CAND%3E+plasma%29+%3CIN%3E+body%2
9%2C+%28%5B100%5D%28%5B100%5D%28HEAT+%3CAND%3E+warheads+%3CAND%3E+plasma
%29+%3CIN%3E+title%29+%3CAND%3E+%28%5B100%5D%28HEAT+%3CAND%3E+warheads+%
3CAND%3E+plasma%29+%3CIN%3E+body%29%29%29%29&Prod_Name=IDR&