Prev: Power Projection: Fleet Next: Re: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners

Re: [Traveller_FullThrust] Power Projection:Fleet (Long)

From: Dom Mooney <cybergoths@d...>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:32:13 +0000
Subject: Re: [Traveller_FullThrust] Power Projection:Fleet (Long)

Hi Neil,

Thanks for this. Do you mind if I use this for JTAS?

On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 10:07 PM, Neil McGurk wrote:

> In my hands I have a copy of Power Projection: Fleet (PP:F), well, not
> when I'm typing. What follows is a run-down of the contents of the
> book, rather than an actual review. I'm probably not the best person
> to review the game as I've helped-out with playtesting and demoing
> Power Projection: Escorts (PP:E), PP:F's little cousin, for the past
> two years.
>
> Physically the book is made up of 60 pages of rules. In the centre are
> two A4 pages of colour counters, 49 ships and three planets. A number
> of the ships are identifiable as known Traveller ships. Next are two
> A4 pages of game counters. These are the same as supplied in PP:E and
> are black ink printed on yellow paper. They are available for download
> in colour at the Power Projection website. Finally, there are 12 pages
> of Ship Status Diagrams (SSD's). These cover 31 ships, of which six
> are fighters and a blank system map.
>
> The cover is another Jesse De Graff picture, different to the one used
> on Power Projection: Escorts. It shows a number of Third Imperium
> ships giving fire in defence of a planet. I can recognise a Tigress, a
> PF Sloan, a Plankwell and there are a number of ships too small to
> identify. I like it, but I'm a big fan of Jesse De Graff's work.

The extra ships are a BL-15 light battleship (MT) and a Vorioshef (?!)
which is another Tigress-like Battleship, again from MT.

> The rules are broken down into a number of sections, and in fact there
> are two games here, the miniatures game and the strategic game. I have
> described each section in the order they appear in the book.
>
> The rulebook kicks off with an introduction section, starting with a
> piece of fiction. This is the same piece as in PP:E. It then moves
> onto what is required to play, some Traveller background, a full
> introduction to the concepts behind the rules and fairly thorough
> designers' notes. (7pp)

I've talked to Andy - this text will actually change in the full print
run. The PP:E text was used for the first 20 copies as the full new
text was too late for publication (by less than 24 hours). I'll put the
text on the website for those of you that have the first 20 to read.
Sorry!

> Next up are details on fleets, task forces, their composition and
> structure. Rules for their command and control are also here. Crew
> quality gets covered here as well. (2pp)
>
> Individual component symbols and SSD's take up the next section. Each
> component symbol is accompanied by a short description of what it
> represents. A few of the components symbols have changed from PP:E,
> and spinal mounts and black globes have now been added. (3pp)

The main changes to symbols are for computers (now have a number in the
middle representing the relative computing power level) and erm... my
memory fails me.

> The vector movement system section is next. This looks to be very
> similar to the section presented in PP:E, and I would have expected
> the authors to have made changes in light of the publication of PP:E.
> (7pp)

How so? The PP:E rules work...

> The combat section adds to the rules previously presented in PP:E. The
> new additions are spinal mounts, black globes, boarding actions and
> psionics. (14pp)
>
> Jump operations are covered with rules for entry/exit during a game
> and also the affects of misjumps. (2pp)
>
> A completely new section on planets supplies a means of recording
> their details in a similar manner to the SSD called Planetary Status
> Diagrams (PSD). Assaulting them and their surrender is also covered in
> this section. (4pp)
>
> A scenario engine for one-off games is presented with game and table
> set-up instructions. The heart of this section is 22 missions, 11 for
> the attacker and 11 for the defender. (4pp)

If you've played 'Battle Rider' you'll know the kind of scenario
generator this is. Basically, neither side knows the other's mission to
the end of the battle...

> Next up are rules for the strategic game. It would require a fair
> amount of effort to set-up a game, but all areas needed are covered,
> from ship construction to logistics. I expect parts of this section
> would be useful for smaller campaigns where a number of connected
> games are played out. (12pp)
>
> The ship conversion rules are aimed at ships originally designed with
> the second edition of High Guard. Due to similarities, MegaTraveller
> and Traveller 20 ships are also easily converted. Ships designed with
> Traveller: The Next Era and Gurps: Traveller would require more
> (guess)work. (4pp)

T4 should also be convertible as there are some T4 to HG conversions or
vice versa on the web.

> The rules finish with a comprehensive run-down of gravity levels at
> various radiuses, for a cross section of planets and stars of various
> sizes and types. (1pp)

This is where you can have real *fun*. Set up a battle in the 1G radius
of a star and watch how your maneuvers suddenly become really
challenging as you try and avoid a vector into the well.

Thanks for this Neil!

Cheers,

Dom
--------dom@cybergoths.u-net.com--------
"Even in the most depressing dystopia,
there's still the notion that the future is
something we build. It doesn't just happen.
You can't predict the future, but you can
invent it. Build it." Niven/Pournelle/Flynn

Prev: Power Projection: Fleet Next: Re: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners