Prev: Re: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners Next: RE: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners

RE: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:41:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RE: Background Material: A call for Help from US Easterners

--- "Noah V. Doyle" <nvdoyle@insightbb.com> wrote:
> May I suggest a slightly different approach, for how
> to apportion the
> balkanized North America?
>
> Look to the commercially navigable rivers/waters.
> Mississippi, Missouri,
> Ohio, Great Lakes; all of these are going to be
> vastly important for trade,
> if you break up the USA/Canada/Mexico. You might see
> a Great Lakes
> Coalition, dedicated to controlling trade/access to
> the lakes - and thus
> the Atlantic, for much of the center of the
> continent. There would probably
> be conflicts across the major rivers, for control of
> them. Nation/states
> lower on the rivers would be in conflict with those
> higher up, over access
> to the oceans...and vice versa, over the flow of the
> waters themselves.

Good stuff indeed, although my current model pretty
much follows that pattern as an accidental result of
the cultural divides I chose.

> Don't forget that unless you've somehow handwaved
> away ICBMs, SSBNs and
> other major units, several nation/states just became
> massively armed
> nuclear powers.

I'll have to work on that...

> And a more personal comment on the Midwest - we
> Hoosiers (Indianans,
> historically) might be willing to 'ally' with Ohio,
> Michigan and (rural)
> Illinois, we'd probably have troubles with Kentucky
> over the Ohio River. If
> any Chicagoans get any ideas, though, Gary, IN =
> Stalingrad. :)

I had considered expanding the Great Lakes Republic to
include IL, IN, and OH, as well as MN, WI, & MI.  I
may just go ahead with that.

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

http://photos.yahoo.com/