Prev: Re: this is a first... Next: Re: Galactica 2003

Re: Galactica 2003

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:43:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Galactica 2003

--- "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com> wrote:
> > Multiple replies, and now With Spoilers, so...

> > His character weak one way, strong another way,
> both of which grated on
> > me. He gave the picture of a somewhat insane
> genius, which is fine, but
> > too much of the base plot hinged on his fatal
> flaws, and his fatal
> > flaws were only fatal to others. I _did_ chuckle
> when he happened to be
> > right about something he had no clue about.
>
> I suspect the writers are trying to give him all the
> faults of the people
> who originally designed the Cylons.

Wow, I never even considered that angle - thanks for
mentioning it.	That'll be interesting to bring up
with a friend of mine who was highly critical of the
miniseries, as an old BSG purist.

His
> characterization is certainly not
> perfect, but look at the pilot for the original Star
> Trek or B5, both of
> those required time and effort to perfect the
> characterizations by the
> actors, and interplay between the characters.
> BattleStar Galatica  has real
> potential, if sometimes annoying minor plot
> elements.

Agreed.  and again, it definitely made his character a
more believable villain than the flat cardboard-cutout
Baltar of the original.

> > Ah, yes. This bugged me as well. Clearly this
> Baltar's extra flaky, but
> > the show plays as if "The Woman In the Red Dress"
> is every man's
> > downfall.
>
> What man hasn't fallen for at least one beautiful
> women who wasn't much more
> trouble then she was worth???  Fortunately, it
> doesn't usually result in the
> nuking of cities...

Again, let me reiterate, I had no problem with the
concept of his seduction by the cylon.	What bothered
me was the hamfisted way the kept beating us over the
head with it in every other scene, just to make sure
we knew how important a plot point it was.

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Prev: Re: this is a first... Next: Re: Galactica 2003