Prev: Re: [FT] Campaign Poll Next: [eBay] 25mm NSL Jager Auctions

RE: [FT] Campaign guidelines Re: [FT] Campaign Poll

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:25:37 -0000
Subject: RE: [FT] Campaign guidelines Re: [FT] Campaign Poll

The campaign narrative arose out of the two  full "campaigns" our group
carried out out uni, both taking a year to complete. Post uni we
scattered
back across the country, so the campaign narrative we use allows any
memebers of the group, when they meet up, to immediatly leap into a game
set
in our background. We try our best to act as our nations would, not as
we
would neccesarily wish, when playing games, an elememt of roleplaying
which
means some sides will attempt to disengage before suffering too much
damage,
whilst others will fight to the death no matter what.  The results of
individual games are used to reflect the overall fortunes of each
galactic
power, after games players discuss the results and explain how they see
it
effecting their nation.

To be honest the narrative system has produced much more dynamic and
interesting games and "historical development" than the original
"proper"
campaign system. In those days we spent more time keeping track of
damage
points, resupplying etc, etc, they we often ended up with no time to
actually fight any battles. No doubt our own fault for using an overly
complicated set of campaign rules (unfortunately I used Federation &
Empire
as my inspiration for those rules...and complicated them further...my
only
excuse is insanity...).

To sum up our system, it is a combination of wargaming and galactic
realpolitik roleplaying. It works for us but it is in no way suitable
for
any kind of competitive or tournament gaming. It is very suitable,
though,
for just having a good time.

And rolling a d6, 1= really bad upto 6= really good helps to add a nice
random elememt when we are unsure how certain events might transpire.

Regards,

Matt Tope