Prev: RE: Full Thrust Age of Sail? Next: Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II

Re: [DS] House Rules: ZADS

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:58:19 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DS] House Rules: ZADS

--- A J Martin <AJMartin@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> > > To use another direct fire weapon system (other
> than RFAC/2, HVC/3 and
> HVC/4 equivalents),

*snip*

> That's what the existing rules for ZAD/ADS equated
> to in points cost and
> volume, as I discovered. The only difference was in
> range, which was a small
> enough change.

No, the other difference was in how they act in Direct
Fire mode - they're all treated as RFAC 2's.

> > > Multiply the cost by ten and that is the price
> of the system in points.
>
> > How'd you come up with this cost formula?
>
> That's what it works out as in the design system for
> the original rules. I
> reverse engineered the original ADS/ZAD into the
> DSII design system for
> weapons. The "multiply by 10" works out as well.

Ok, that would make sense then.  I haven't looked over
costs yet.

> > > The ADS quality die is based on the size of the
> weapon: size 1 to size 5
> is D4 to D12 respectively.
>
> > Hmmm.... why?  Shouldn't that be determined by the
> quality of Firecon?
>
> Because that's what the existing ADS/ZAD uses, IIRC.
> I just expanded the
> range.

Well, not exactly.  The existing ADS/ZAD quality are
based on the size of the entire SYSTEM, so I would
argue that it would be as much a function of the
size/quality of the Firecon as of the actual weapon
part of the system.

> > > Even though *two* weapon systems are fitted,
> only *one* set of damage
> chits are drawn.
*snip*
> > > You could install three weapons in turret,
> multiply by 5, but you will
> only get *red* and *yellow* chits valid.
> >
> > The above section seemed really complicated to me,
> and unnecessary if I
> apply the other rules I've come up with so far....
>
> It fits with the existing rules... :-/

Ah, but that's not exactly my goal.... I'm taking the
existing rule as a launching point to take things in a
new direction....

> > > The ADS quality die is based on the size of the
> weapon: size 1 to size 5
> is D4 to D12 respectively.
>
> > Hmmm.... why?  Shouldn't that be determined by the
> quality of Firecon?
>
> Again, it fits with the existing rules for ADS/ZAD.

Again, see above for a different approach to the size
rationale....

=====
"Teach a man to make fire, and he will be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."   -- John A.
Hrastar

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

Prev: RE: Full Thrust Age of Sail? Next: Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II