Prev: Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II Next: Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II

Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:47:17 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II

At 4:23 PM -0500 12/1/03, John K Lerchey wrote:

>Ok, so my first question would be, "Why does the ZADFC take up
capacity?"
>Normal FCS do not, regardless of effectiveness (Basic, Enhanced,
>Superior).  If they don't and you're making the ADS have it's own fire
>control, why not just apply a flat capacity for the extra system, and
make
>the *cost* be based on the effectivness.

Look at a Gepard. Search Radar, Tracking Radar, processing computers,
Antennas, Sights, controls for indicating the approach of bad
aircraft, IFF systems, etc. Sure they get smaller in the future, but
why is a ZAD Superior a Large vehicle only? It's what, 25 capacity
for a ZAD Superior?

>[snip]
>In regards to the comment about HELs being extremely effective, my take
>is, "Ok, so why not?"	HELs don't necessarily required a large, heavy,
>counterweighted barrel so much as they need a hell of a power source.
So,
>IMHO, they would make better ZADS than slug throwers.	In the OGRE
>universe lasers were the primary reason that there were no combat
aircraft
>being used.  Basically, if you flew above nap-of-the-earth, you were
>burned down.

Why aren't the existing ZADs HEL based? Insufficient ROF?
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II Next: Re: [DS] ZADS to ZADFC HR's Part II