Prev: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry (Alexandria Lights) Next: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault

Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:47:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry

>Just found something I wrote up a couple months ago.
>See, just everyone who writes up a NAC outfit goes
>with Brits or Canadians.  I wanted to do something
>different.  170th Infantry is an old Virginia
National
>Guard unit that got stood down about 10 years ago or
>so.  I'm assuming that, like during WWI and II, the
>various regiments during the Solar Wars expand past
>their peacetime strength by adding BNs in great
>numbers, and that older, decomissioned regiments are
>brought back as well.

Actually the expansion of National Guard (NG) units in
the US Army was not done in WWII. Alot of the NG
promotions were heavily based on political decisions
( Officer X supported politician Y and so was
promoted when politician Y won ). The US
Army cloned regular divisions (split off Officers
and men and filled in with NG and new recruits) which
forced the political officers to perform or get
relieved.

This caused problems with the US units being somewhat
rigid (since no one knows the next guy everyone goes
by the book) but avoided a major problem that the
British army had with flexibility ( an infantry
Regt. X is in same division as armor Regt. Y
(ex cavalry Regt.) and there are problems in swaping
companies between them to form combined arms teams).

Scott

Prev: Re: [SGII] [DSII] 170th North American Infantry (Alexandria Lights) Next: Re: [SG/DS] Orbital assault