Prev: Re: MAO-MAO WAR Next: Re: [DSII] quotes from a recent game

[DSII] quotes from a recent game

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:24:45 -0500
Subject: [DSII] quotes from a recent game

Greetings,

For your amusement, I present some recorded quotes from a recent DSII
game played this past weekend. John Lerchey from Pittsburgh and his
SO drove out to Baltimore for the weekend so we could avail ourselves
to a full-day of testing out his OGRE houserules in DSII. Mike Hudak
from Harrisburg, PA, and Joel Frock from Baltimore (maker of great
glowing explosion clouds, as well as a new mushroom cloud) joined in
the fun.

The scenario was a "free-for-all" OGRE vs OGRE. John took detailed notes
and will hopefully get a better write-up of the blow-by-blow for you to
follow. THis is a very high-level overview of the events that happened.

We had 12 forces of OGREs to choose from - randomly. 10 of the 12 forces
were set to match the "benchmark" of the Mk.V OGRE at 6500 pts. One of
the forces had two Mk.IIIs (~7300 pts) and one force consisted of a
Mk.VI (~9600 pts). We decided to dice off to see who got what. I rolled
first: a '12' - which happened to correspond to the Mk.VI OGRE. I knew
I was going to be a target in this game, but I was going to do my best
to make sure everyone else was as damaged as I possibly could do to
them.
Joel got an OGRE Mk.I and an OGRE Mk.III. Mike got a basic Mk.V. John
rolled up with the Fencer-A OGRE and a Mk.I OGRE. Mike and Joel started
in opposite corners on their near side of the board, John and I on the
other. Mike and I were diametrically in opposite corners. Lots of
hills (tall and steep, not so tall and sloping) as well as a lake kept
anyone from getting any early long-range shots (especially with the
'new' deadly Hellbore cannons on the OGREs - these were represented by
extrapolated DFFGs; so for example, the Mk.V OGRE's main guns consist
of a pair of DFFG/8s, while the Mk.VI has 3 sets of DFFG/9s which happen
to reach out 60 mu to touch someone hard).

As each module on the OGREs counted as an activation, we chose the
following method to do initiatives. In a cup went four chits, one to
represent each of us. I would randomly draw a chit and whoever that
chit represented got to activate a module on their OGRE. The chit
was placed back in the cup and reshaken. This did mean that often
people would get two or three activations in a row...but that also
meant they got none later when everyone else was activating. ;-) This
had beneficial and detrimental effects on the play, and affected
tactics accordingly.

Things started out with Joel and John taking a couple of long-range
snapshots at Mike, while Mike did his damndest to encourage everyone
to gang up on me. Finally Joel's Mk.III got in view of my Mk.VI and
I banged on it a while with long-range fire. DFFG/9s are very nice. :-)
I didn't destroy it, but I made it run and hide.  ;-)  I then turned
my attention to the missle OGRE: the Fencer, and it's consort. They
kept my attention while Joel and Mike closed from behind hills or
through the lake. Soon it was apparent that they were going to try
and either ram the hell out of the Mk.VI (as many of the OGREs by
mid-game had few guns left) or park next to it and self-detruct (John's
Mk.I tried to do that and catch the Mk.VI in the blast, and while the
explosion was real pretty, the Mk.VI was able to get outside the
blast radius and escaped unharmed). The Mk.Vi did its utmost to dodge
and run circles around the other OGREs, but there were too many targets
to hit with the guns on the Mk.VI in order to reduce their movement or
offensive capabilities. The other OGREs had also gotten some good hits
on my sensor array, knocking my FireControl combat die down from d12 to
d10 to d8 to d6 and finally to d4. That made it REAL hard to hit
anything
on the other OGREs (not that I had many guns left, either). Then the
ramming began.

Eventually they were able to destroy the Mk.VI, while a Mk.III, the
Fencer, and the Mk.V escaped - all severely damaged. The Mk.VI gave a
good accounting of itself, given the fact it was out-massed and
out-numbered a good bit.

Joel, Mike, and John took copious photos and those should be appearing
on
websites somewhere soon. John's DSII OGRE house rules can be found here:
http://okapi.andrew.cmu.edu/lerchey/www/DSII/OGRE-DSII.html   For those
who
will be coming to ECC 7, these rules will be used for at least one DSII
game that is being run that weekend.

Now, onto the quotes from the fun.

Mk
--------

"That's not poofy enough" - Joel

Mike (to Joel) - "WOULD YOU QUIT MOVING CLOSER TO ME?!?"
(to everyone else, where 'him' is Joel) - "Should I reverse and light
him up?"

"And yet another 'dead OGRE' shot" - John, as Indy's Mk VI unleashes
long-range destruction with DFFG/9s

Indy to John: "You have an EM Module, don't you?" (referring to John's
almost ruined Fencer OGRE)
John: "It's hiding behind the smoke"

John (after being targeted AGAIN at close range by Indy's Mk VI) "Well,
at least I can concentrate on notes and pictures..."

"Now you'll come after me" - Mike
"Yeah, I'll get right on that" - John, with sarcasm
"'Cause you've been doing *so* *well* against the Mk VI..." - Mike

[After Indy destroys Mike's Mk V's remaining main battery]
"Thanks. Would you be so kind as to hand me a 'destroyed' chit?" - Mike
"I thought I just did that" - Indy

[Indy kills off two more guns from Mike's Mk.V]
"Welcome to my world" - John, referring to his nearly detoothed Fencer
OGRE

"Yeah, but you're like the Terminator, he's like the chick lady" - Joel
(referring to Indy's Mk.VI as 'the chick lady')
"Oh, and that's supposed to make me happy." - Mike

Indy (to self): "I've detoothed them, now they're all ramming."
John: "We're going to detread you by bouncing off of you."

John (to Indy's Mk.VI in an indifferent tone): "Come and get some."
Mike: "Amazing how all our battle cries sound hollow."

John (referring to his Fencer trying to chase the Mk.VI) - "He's doing
laps
inside the crater"

Mike (targeting the Mk.VI) "AGAIN! I'm going to shoot the conning
tower!"

Joel: "Don't shoot me in the foxhole!"

John (referring to orange poof explosions on either side of an
OGRE Mk.II) - "It looks like Bozo!"

"Joel, be very afraid. You're about to be roadkill" - Mike, as Indy's
Mk.VI OGRE prepares to ram Joel's Mk.I OGRE

Prev: Re: MAO-MAO WAR Next: Re: [DSII] quotes from a recent game