Prev: Re: MAO-MAO WAR Next: John and..er..John.

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:50:04 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

At 2:56 PM +0000 11/25/03, Matt Tope wrote:
>Imre wrote:
>
>>If you look at battles, you are correct.  If you look at wars, you are
>>wrong.
>>Korea -- high tech force stalemated.
>>Vietnam -- high tech force defeated.

This was not a defeat militarily, but politically. The US kicked the
living shit out of the VC and the NVA. We never put our full brunt of
force against North Vietnam.

>Lebonon -- high tech force defeated.
Political loss

>Lets add a few British conflicts to the list just to get a slighty
wider
>perspective on low tech vs high tech,
>
>Malaya -- High tech force wins
>Burma -- High tech force wins
>Sierra Leone -- High tech force wins

WWII -- Mass production over super high tech (it's marginal that the
Germans were more advanced in all fields. We started to beat them to
the punch on fighters in production for quite a while there).

>Of course the high tech force (Britain) won in all of these cases by
the
>high tech in a more precise manner rather than relying on high tech
>firepower, and had full political support.

There's more to winning the war than technology. The Battle Of France
had arguably more technology on the side of the French and British in
regards to Tank design. But the German's with the smaller force, won
through determination, elan and better coordination.

>PS: Can Grenada count as a war? I thought in a war both sides had to
shoot.

There was shooting. Just mostly when the Red troops had superiority.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: MAO-MAO WAR Next: John and..er..John.