Prev: Re: (FT) Japanese Fleet Concept Next: Re: [FT] Tenders? RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders

Re: (FT) Japanese Fleet

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:11:13 -0000
Subject: Re: (FT) Japanese Fleet

Akos Buky wrote:

>Greetings!

>A friend of mine saw the Japanese Fleet ships and immediately fell in
>love with them, he already has the mega fleet plus some others, but as
>there are no official stats for them, he created some based on the
>WW2 Japanese fleet concept. Big ships, usually one class bigger than
>the other ?Navy?s?, Big guns and pulse torpedoes. I can?t remember
>any more details, as it has been a while since I?ve risked my NAC ships
>against his. But he squezzed the biggest battery on the ship he
>thought  it could carry.

>Their structure were below average, so once you got in range and
>were lucky to dish out enough damage, it was likely to fall. It was
only
>hard to get into range, with enough weaponry intact. So his designs
>are not very popular. :-)

>So he?s asked: Does anyone has a diffrent concept for those ships..?

I also use a long range fire tactic for my Japanese fleet designs, but
rather than beam based weapons I use the Medium Tactical missile rules
from
the Weapons and Defences Archives, (these are a development of the More
Thrust Missiles updated for FT2.5). The vessels themselves are fairly
conventional conformiing to the standard human mass-class size ranges.
They
are thrust 4, with average hulls, a little armour and pretty good point
defences, with a light secondary weapon back up of class 1 and 2 beams.
So
far they have acquitted themselves well, the missile barrages shredding
the
enemy at long and medium ranges, allowing my fleet to close and finish
off
any survivors with the secondary armament. I prefer MT missiles to salvo
missiles because I always seem to roll 1 on the lock-on roll with salvo
missiles, and felt it best to swap over before it gave me a nervous
breakdown.

I like the designs so much they also double up for one of my
non-tuffleyverse fleets.

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: Re: (FT) Japanese Fleet Concept Next: Re: [FT] Tenders? RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders