Prev: Re: [FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: FT ? Fleet Replenishment tenders

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:50:48 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

> RR *rounds*, yes. What's more interesting is how many *RRs* can you
afford,
> though - in particular, how many RRs and their crews can you afford to
> *lose*, when you send them against enemies they have only a small
chance
of
> taking out?

There job isn't to take out heavy armor.  There job is take out light
armor
to get the enemey to keep his heavy armor on the planet.

> >Microwave radation warheads aren't themonuclear EMP warheads.
>
> Who said anything about *thermonuclear* EMP warheads (well, until you
did)?
> You don't need a nuke to create a really nasty EMP pulse (normal high
> explosives are quite sufficient, at least for short-range applications
like
> this); and microwave radiation warheads are a type of  non-nuclear
type of
> EMP warheads.

I had the impression that some people were assuming I was talking about
nuclear EMP RR rounds because of what they said about the cost.

> What makes you think that stockpiles of or factories capable of
producing
> *RR rounds* will be any easier to protect than stockpiles/factories
for
> *missiles*...?

Cache them all over the place.	You'll have to do the same for any
munitons
for a protracted low intensity struggle.

> And where did you get *these* weapons from? Those stockpiles and
factories
> you've just said you can't defend, or something...? <g>

Take 12 milllion RR rounds divided it into groups of 12, and cache them
in
10 million different places and do this on each conteninent...

> Nope. Oh, sure, we could produce a weapon capable of taking out
*civilian*
> electronics quite easily even with today's tech, but most of the
military
> ones are much, *much* tougher than that. All those dollars spent have
> already started to get results, you see :-/

Tougher, not proof.  The microwave warheads currently under R&D are to
take
out millitary systems.	Also there is a very big difference in between
taking out a chip and taking out a chip conected to a sensor that is
trying
to recieve a signal.

> Not very likely that the EMP doesn't take out the PDS/ADS, or not very
> likely that the low-velocity round will defeat the PDS/ADS when the
EMP
> doesn't do its job? Not that it matters; I agree with both <g>

Not very likely that the EMP won't take out PDS/ADS.

ias

Prev: Re: [FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: FT ? Fleet Replenishment tenders