Prev: RE: Fleet Replenishment tender (SAR/Hospital) Next: RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders

[FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons

From: Tim Bancroft <tim@d...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:30:08 -0000
Subject: [FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons

Hi guys,
Someone asked:
*****
Second, can anyone come up with an example at any
point in history where this happened and the ship
commander did not get at the least dismissed from the
service and imprisioned?  I'm not counting Admirals
who get wild hairs (Nelson) and win battles regardless
of orders to disengage.
*****
Whilst the Beast was quite right to point out that it is not quite
"germaine" (So I'll ignore Nelson, as you requested):

Cochrane and Pellew, to name just two from the C18/C19 **incredibly**
able
commanders who tended to ignore orders and engage ships far larger than
themselves, tended to ignore orders.  True, Pellew happened to destroy a

capital ship with his own and another frigate, and Cochrane pissed off
the
Naps so much that he gained a "most wanted" status, nevertheless both
survived their court martials (which I believe both had at one time or
another).

OK, Cochrane never amounted ot much ::in the UK navy:: but was,
nonetheless, admired.

I am quite happy to read through the rest of my copies of the Naval
Chronicles and put forward a range of names (which, IIRC ends up a huge
list).

----------------------

SOME of this is dominated by the special case of FF being commited to a
combat in which it will be destroyed.  It seems to me that several
things
are being ignored (especially when history is being referred to).

1) FF vs BC or more means forget the FF.  Seems fair to me.
2) FFin a fleet vs another fleet means either:
	a) forget Destroyers ro Frigates - they don't count OR
	b) if they try ... (see (1))
3) in the Mid-late C20, IIRC, FF/DD/DH were not even ran up against
capital
ships if at all possible  (and that bits crucial)  - so given  (1),
fine.
 They ended up being pitted against each other (C19,C20) or similar
vessels, or only when they could gang up against something bigger.
4) In space, crew can always retreat to the escape pods (see David
Manley
or Star Wars).
5) ...which means the campaign imperatives are missing from the
face-to-face rules.  Which also means I just ::shrug:: - if you want to
complicate a battle and you're in the midst of a campaign absolutely
great
(I put them in, then).	If not - does FT really need it?

It seems pointless trying to assess the morale of a Frig/Dest captain or

crew ouside the imperatives of the campaign necessities in which they
find
themselves.  And a single tabletop, face-to-face situation is so far
abstracted from that as to suggest that either:
a) You dice for it (random), or
b) you ignore such morale effects (current FT 2.5, ignoring MT).  (Gets
my
vote)

Whilst I _cannot_ ignore factor (5) above, the rest seems ot leave to
simplicity:
Ignore such morale **except** when in a campaign setting.

Hope this helps !!!! ;-)

Tim Bancroft

Prev: RE: Fleet Replenishment tender (SAR/Hospital) Next: RE: Fleet Replenishment tenders