Prev: Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added? Next: Re: [FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons

Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added?

From: "Andreas Udby" <andreas.udby@h...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:43:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added?

I wrote my own set of 6mm sci-fi rules a long time ago, before I ever
heard of
DS2, Iron Cow, or any of the other rule sets available.  One of my
thoughts was
to give railguns the option of firing directly, as a normal tank gun, or
indirectly.  Here's the description from my own dear rule set:

"Rail Guns in Indirect Fire Mode:
	Because of the sophisticated fire control systems in use on the
Steel Rain©
battlefield, Rail Guns have replaced howitzers as the delivery system
for
ballistic artillery fire.  The Rail Gun is simply elevated to the
appropriate
angle and given the appropriate amount of “push” by its magnetic coils
to put a
shell in the appropriate ballistic arc.

	When firing a Rail Gun in the indirect mode, treat the unit as
if it were
firing Salvo Rockets, with the following modifications:

·	Use the Range and Lethality characteristics of the Rail Gun
·	A Rail Gun shell has no burst radius;  only a direct hit will
have an effect
on a target
·	Rail Guns have no Smoke or FASCAM capability

All other Artillery conditions apply (such as Blind Fire penalties,
Scatter, FO
bonuses, etc.).  The benefit is that a single FO – say, a dismounted
infantry
stand – could call down multiple rail guns on enemy units that would be
otherwise out of the line of sight of those units."

The only other weapons systems in my game that I felt were even remotely
creative were these:

"Microwave Projector:  A vicious weapon that cooks things from the
inside.  It
is incredibly heavy because of the generator and capacitors necessary to
power
it, and it raises a vehicle’s Profile considerably because of the large
parabolic dish necessary for adequate projection of the microwaves
energy.
However, it is able to sweep across an area and affect multiple units
within
that area;  up to four units within a 5cm diameter can be hit with one
use of
this weapon.

Gel Flamer:  A gel flamer is a lightweight weapon that fires streams of
gel
capsules over a short distance.  When the capsules hit a target, they
rupture,
spreading the sticky gel over the surface of the target.  The gel bursts
into
flame just seconds after exposure to oxygen, and burns with an intense
heat.
Because the gel is made using powdered magnesium, water cannot
extinguish it.
However, its life cycle is short, and the gel burns out after only a
short
period.  Furthermore, the gel is smokeless;  the only smoke produced is
from the
explosion of fuel and munitions in the target vehicle."

My rules are pretty simplistic, I'm afraid;  more of Epic 40K than of
Dirtside.
Still, maybe the systems above could be adapted to DS2.

FREE web-based email for HR
professionals and loads of other helpful
resources too, at http://www.hr.com

Prev: Re: [DS3] What weapons do you think DS2 needs added? Next: Re: [FT] Morale Re: [SG2] weapons