Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)

Re: [SG2] weapons

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:10:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] weapons

> Yeah.  I'm looking at it as an HVC without muzzle
> velocity.  Sure, you can knock down buildings or nail
> trucks with it, but it's not going to be terribly
> effective against anything much heavier.

It won't be any worse then a similar diameter GSM.

> > that a 105mm RR (Recoiless Rifle) firing a HEAT
> > warhead can penetrate the
> > side of an M1 and M1A tank?
>
> Source?  I'm also assuming that MBTs in SG/DS are
> superior to modern ones--I mean, to go from the first
> tanks to the M1 took a mere 65 years (more or less).
> What will they be like in another 180?

Source: A great old game from Avalon Hill called FirePower...  Isn't
that
rather inconsistent to assume that tanks are going to improve over the
next
180 years, but that HEAT warheads won't???  If they don't, then IVAR's
and
possibly GSM's will be useless...

> Yeah!  d4 FiCon!  I'll take two-to-one odds in your
> favor and do a frontal charge.  With APCs.  These
> things are manually aimed, remember?

Gee, John, that's going to get rather bloody for you when one half of
the
RR's open up on your side in an ambush after the other half entices you
into
going someplace you shouldn't...  If you are being invaded stand up
fights
just beg for orbital bombardment by the attacker...

> > By the way, the Brit's fielded a 120mm RR called the
> > Wombat.
>
> I may be wrong, but wouldn't the weight on that sort
> of thing defeat the primary purpose, which is to be
> light-weight and man-portable?  At any rate, any army
> which isn't a joke dropped RRs larger than the Carl
> Gustav in favor of ATGMs years ago.  And the CG is
> more of a reloadable IAVR than a GMS/L.

I simply listed it as an example of the largest RR that was in service
that
I know of.  It was mounted on landrover or similar light utility truck.
And
how man portable is a TOW?  Don't bother answering this one because I
have a
friend in the Marine Corps who is on a TOW team...

All RR's are more similar to a highly accurate reloadable IVAR then a
GMS/L...

Does anyone know if that crazy Japanesse tankette mounting a pair of
105mm
RR's is still inservice in Japan?

ias

Prev: Re: [SG2] weapons Next: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)