Prev: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers) Next: Re: [OT] Spearhead

Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:06:41 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers)

Matt Tope <mptope@omnihybrid.com> írta:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to Robert Eldridge and Buky Akos for the answer to my
question, it
> was Jozef Bem whose name I was trying to remember. Though I
couldn't
> remember his name ( a common failing of mine) I was incredibly
impressed by
> him and what he achieved against such overwelming odds, that also
goes for
> the Honved's themselves.
>
> I have always assumed, geographically and geopolitically speaking,
that
> Hungary would be in the NSL, given that Hungary is a central
European (or
> "mittel europe") state not "eastern european", the latter term a
recent one
> born out of the cold war.

Yes, we like to consider ourselves to be Central Europeans. For most
people, Hungary belongs to the barbaric Balkan and Co.
Well, even if we still have much to do, (40 years of Communism let a
deep scar...), most of the visitors are pleasently suprised. Going to
the
East it is getting worse, but as far as I can judge, it's more the
politicians fault.

> I would think that Hungary would avoid the ESU
> like the plague, and Hungarians, not being a Slavic people, might not
be too
> keen on joining the Romanov Hegemony. I see Hungary as being an
equal
> partner within the NSL, certainly not inclined to take a back seat and

let
> Germany and Austria dominate affairs of state.

Actually, according to some, we are already a German provance.
Germany has a huge influence here, even if Americans gained a lot,
and maintained a base in Taszar.

> This gives me an idea, as I recently obtained a copy of Stargrunt
(thanks
> St. Jon, sorry about the bother), I might make my first project the
creation
> of a Honved platoon...hmmm. Anyone got any suggestions on where
I might find
> background info on them, other than the Military History musuem in
Budapest?
> ;-)
>
> Thanks again for the help,
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt Tope

Hm. I remember recalling some quite good sites about Hungarian
history, one I've checked for another gamer had an excellent English
version as well. If I have a chance and do not forget it I'll try to dig
up
something.

			 Greetings,

					     Catinator

Prev: Re: Question regarding Hungarian history (was Re: FT Lancers) Next: Re: [OT] Spearhead