Prev: Re: John A. Next: Re: John A.

Re: John A.

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:11:28 -0500
Subject: Re: John A.

Forwarded from JohnA, msg received this morning (US Eastern)

Been browsing through the archives. Couple comments
for forwarding:

1)Low-tech DSII. As far as mixing tech levels, it's a
waste of time. See: 3rd ID vs. The Entire Iraqi
Army. Low-tech armies can't play on the modern
battlefield. Not invited. You can play reasonable
SGII guerilla warfare scenarios, but a fight on the
DSII table is lost before it begins. Simply the
command-and-control and EW options available to the
higher tech forces, as well as superior weapon and
sensor ranges, means it's about as "balanced" as a
gunnery range. Unless you go after some completely
lost-and-confused convoy of mechanics with few
crewserved weapons and improperly maintained personal
weapons, as well as a moron of a commanding officer
and lousy Situational Awareness in the whole convoy.

2)AGL vs. SAW. The AGLs postulated in SGII are not
Mk19s. They are lightweight weapons in the 20mm range
such as are under development by the US Army--OCSW,
IIRC. Intended to replace/supplement the M-240, and
hopefully in that weight range. It has a higher
firepower due to area effect of the grenades, but a
lower penetration because the primary wound effect
mechanism is shrapnel. They do much better against
targets in cover than machine guns, but 'modern' body
armor (by SGII standards) greatly reduces the danger
from fragmentation. Now, the SAW category in SGII
presumes that exotic propulsion technologies (binary
liquid, gauss, ETC, etc) push the muzzle velocities
and sustained ROF of SAW-weight weapons up to GPMG
levels and hence the distinction between these weapons
disappears. So a SGII SAW will be a far superior
direct fire weapon. AGLs are used primarily to cover
dead space. They also complement machine guns. MGs
cause people to get down and take frontal cover. The
arcing trajectory and HE effect of AGLs mean people
huddled in one spot behind lumps in the ground get
blown to bits. If you wanted finer distinction
between them in game terms, personally I would
downgrade the effects of cover by one level vs. AGLs,
but upgrade the effects of armor by one level.

Having said that, the NRE primarily uses gauss SAWs as
their crewserved weapons.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: SGII does
not model heavy crewserves like the .50 cal or the
Mk19 at all. It's a light infantry game, and light
infantry doesn't have these puppies except on
vehicles. And we all know SGII rules only cover
vehicles because JT couldn't get away with
dispensining with them entirely.

3)Re Flakmagnet's comment on civilized warfare: I'll
deal with you later.

3.5)Belt Buckles still aren't funny.

4)Andreas Udby--Essayons, man. Where you in 2nd Eng?
It's my life goal to avoid getting sent to Korea as
long as I can avoid it. :) 4th ID Force XXI doctrine
jacks Engineer line platoons all up. Only 2 squads,
and gives the PSG a track. PL and PSG tracks both get
Mk 19s, the 2 squad tracks get an M2. From what I can
see you joined the list the month after I deployed, or
at least your first post is 30 APR.

5)Looks like mid-tour leave for me is now back on, for
12 Nov.

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: John A. Next: Re: John A.