Prev: Noble Armada boxed set Next: Noble Armada boxed set - SOLD

Re: [OT, FH] Where is Gem 37?

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:39:24 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT, FH] Where is Gem 37?

Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> G'day,
>
> > But on the 2D map, it seems more or less off in the direction of the
> > Royal Dutch Commonwealth, almost on a line between them and the FCT:
> > http://www.projectrho.com/ft/astropoliticalx.gif
>
> Well I really goofed where I thought it was then! Must have been using
the wrong coordinate system in 3d starmapper when getting the lightyear
coordinates before converting to parsecs or something.

> Is it actually on the map or just in that general area but to far away
in 3D space to make it on the 2D map?

I don't think it's on the map, but I didn't look that closely.
I figured since it was further out than what Nyrath's map was
to be showing, it wouldn't be there, even if the +/-z direction
might have 'forced' it fall on the map.

> Also thanks for the info on the conference papers.

Still working on these. Here are a few I've found on the net:
http://astrobiology.arc.nasa.gov/workshops/1996/palebluedot/abstracts/ka
sting_01.html
(it's an older paper, though, may be somewhat outdated now)

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/sci/fifthconf99/6197.pdf

http://www.astrobiology.com/asc2002/

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0305/0305500.pdf

This link brings you to the proceedings from the extrasolar
planets conference I attended last summer:
http://www.astrosociety.org/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/
p-CS294.html?E+scstore
(of course they want you to buy it ;-)

A powerpoint presentation on characterization of extrasolar
terrestrial planets:
http://dti.stsci.edu/projects/streaming/conferences/May_symposium_2002/p
pt/vikki_meadows_VPL_STScI.ppt

Here are a few links people might find interesting for formation
of habitable planets:
http://www.solstation.com/habitable.htm

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/seti_circumstellar_010320.html

http://exobio.ucsd.edu/Space_Sciences/zones.htm

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/extrasolar-02a.html

A *very* cool and basic educational flash animation about
habitable zones in our own solar system:
http://library.thinkquest.org/C003763/flash/habzone1.htm?tqskip1=1&tqtim
e=1017

Okay, I think I've either overloaded or bored you guys enough now. ;-)

Mk

Prev: Noble Armada boxed set Next: Noble Armada boxed set - SOLD