Prev: Re: Sept. 29th messages? Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1761

Re: [OT, FH] Where is Gem 37?

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:06:31 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT, FH] Where is Gem 37?

Jerry Acord wrote:

> Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
>
> > HD CATALOG: 50692 SPECTRAL TYPE: G0V DISTANCE (L.Y.): 62 OTHER
> > CATALOG: GL 252 OTHER NAME: 37 Gem
> >
> > I'm at work so no star books with me, have I got the right beastie?
> > At 62 light years its not going to be on Nyrath the grand's map, but
> > doesn't anyone know map edge it'll be off?
>
> SOme more digging via Google:
>
> http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/Game/Countdown/stardat
>
> Longitude  Latitude
> 103.058^   25.43^
>
> Assuming these numbers are correct, this puts it in the constellation
> Draco, viewed from Earth:
>
> http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/galchart.html

Actually 37 Gem is in the constellation of Gemini (hence the "Gem"
portion of the name ;-). For another, more easily read, detailed
listing of 37 Gem particulars go to:

http://www.tcaep.co.uk/astro/constell/6550079.htm

The coordinates on the page are listed in Right Ascension (RA) and
Declination (Dec), which is more commonly used by observers in the
astronomical community. You can convert from RA to degrees relatively
easily enough (each 'hour' is equivalent to 15 degrees).

Mk

Prev: Re: Sept. 29th messages? Next: Re: The GZG Digest V2 #1761