Prev: FT-Weapons Next: Re: [FT] Islamic Fed Names

Re: [FT] Islamic Fed Names

From: <warbeads@j...>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 04:40:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Islamic Fed Names

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:46:22 -0400 "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
writes:
>> So explain to me why Damascus is a "city" and Medina is a "...major
>> city..."?
>>
>> Are you thinking major (as in Holy) in meaning?
>
>Pretty much.  Madinah, Mekkah, Yerushalayim, maybe Riyadh, and I run
>out at about that point.  One reason to give that class of names to
>CVA's, since there won't be many of them.

Thought maybe so.

>> You could use names of 'historic personages' for some ship classes.
>The
>> Saddam [involuntary colonist carrier] for example...
>
>I thought about using the names of the Caliphs, and I could just make
>up some names as "the Heroes of the Revolution" but I'm not happy with
>that.	I also thought about angels--Jibrail, Mikail, and so forth--but
>I don't know how well that would go over with a Muslim.

Like any other group (Hispanics, whatever-you-call-the first-Americans,
etc.) you might ask a few members of that group for feedback.  Contact a
local mosque (surprisingly or not they are becoming more common in
USA/Europe)  and ask clergy (Imam?) about that idea.  I might ask the
Islamic coworkers if i can track them down.  Heck, even the Intel
Community has islamic believers in it.	Just expect answers to be
'widely
divergent'!

Hx, SF, and Fx: 6 mm figures, Starships and 1:6K "Wet Navy" warships
are my main interest.

Gracias,
Glenn

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: FT-Weapons Next: Re: [FT] Islamic Fed Names