Prev: [eBay] Silent Death ships for FT Next: Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making,

Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making,

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 01:08:07 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making,

From: "Dances With Rocks" <kochte@stsci.edu>

> If Hawai`i can hold onto Midway against the IJN or OUDF, then I could
> see them keeping it for themselves. But I think the IJN and OUDF
(whether
> or not the NAC exist in your universe as Jon T has them) would quite
> possibly make a case (political or militarily) for Midway themselves.
OUDF
> because they will be grabbing up all the other lonely islands in the
Pacific,
> IJN because they'll probably want some kind of far-range observation
outpost
> in the Pacific extending towards the Americas. I think (personally)
Hawai`i
> would have a difficult time holding onto Midway; it wouldn't have a
lot of
> the resources to extend themselves too much further beyond the main
grouping
> of islands.

But Hawai'i could use the standard tactic that the OU uses in space.

Note to Japanese Ambassador "The OU is pressuring us to give up Midway
them. Will you support us?"
Note to OU Ambassador "Japan is pressuring us to give up Midway to
them. Will you support us?"
Note to both "Whoever makes the first move, we'll make sure the other
side gets it. We're small, but we're closer, and would tip the balance."

In fact, a de-jure Independent Hawai'i makes sense, even if it's split
between 45% ethnic Japanese, 45% ethnic Polynesians/OU, and 10% ex-US
who think the whole NAC Royalty business is bosh, and still support
the US Constitution. De-facto, a co-dominium, and Free Trade Area with
FCT. Some will want anschluss with the OU. Some will want anschluss
with Japan. Some will even want anschluss with Free Cal-Tex. But only
a few extremist ratbags would fight about it. (Plenty of scope for
SG2, DS2 and FT3 scenarios involving such extremist ratbags of course)

The OU could live with that, having excellent diplomatic relations (and
a long history of covert technological co-operation) with Japan.

Prev: [eBay] Silent Death ships for FT Next: Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making,