Prev: RE: [OT] Territorial Army Next: RE: [OT] Territorial Army

[OT] USA in China (was, RE:Free CalTex...)

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:59:25 +0100
Subject: [OT] USA in China (was, RE:Free CalTex...)

Jim Morrison wrote:

>I've also got to work out how the USA could go
>from conflict with north korea to colonial power in china.

Here is one possible scenario (possible as in highly implausibe),

1). In the next decade US multinational corporations vastly increase
their
investments in the manufactoring sectors of SouthEast China/Hong Kong,
taking advantage of cheap labour and the modern capitalistic/industrial
infrastructure that has been established in the region.

2). Meanwhile China's ambitions towards Taiwan final reach fruition,
c.2012
and the PRC launches an invasion. To keep the US from interfering the
PRC
persuades North Korea to invade South Korea. With Taiwans less than
democratic political scene, tied in with the US investments in China,
the US
is reluctant to intervene in Taiwan with the limited forces it has
available
and decides to come to the ROK's aid first.

3). Taiwan, quickly in danger of being overwhelmed makes a last ditched
attempt at survival and attacks China with its few remaining theatre
ballistic nuclear missiles (Chinese special forces having secured most
of
Taiwans nuclear weapons early on in the invasion), destroying Bejing and
eliminating the Politburo. The PLA responds by nuking Taipen and
finishing
its conquest of the island.

4). With the party leadership in chaos, and the effects of the nuclear
attack crippling the economy, China descends into civil war as local
military commanders attempt to seize control over thier respective
military
districts and squabble amongst each other. With its support from the PRC
lost, and badly outclassed anyway, ROK and US forces quickly subdue the
DPRK.

5). The US multinationals, concerned for their investments in South East
China pressurise the US governemt to act, which under a UN sponsered
peace
keeping banner, moves troops into South East China from North Korea and
effectively seizes the region, pacifing it.

6). Meanwhile civil war continues to wage throughout China, with the US
staging strikes into the war zone to keep the fighting away from the
regions
it controls.

Implausibe granted, but then isn't most of what we do?

Regards,

Matt Tope

Prev: RE: [OT] Territorial Army Next: RE: [OT] Territorial Army