Prev: New Yahoo Group - 15mm Sci Fi Next: Re: [OT] US 'Inactive' RE: [OT] Territorial Army was Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary...

[OT] US 'Inactive' RE: [OT] Territorial Army was Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary...

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:45:39 -0500
Subject: [OT] US 'Inactive' RE: [OT] Territorial Army was Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary...

***
That, I have heard, occurs here in the states too.
Overconfident is never a good condition for a military
to be in, regardless of whose....
***

The stories I heard went on to suggest that the Guard and Reserve
troops,
especially air units, had more time 'in the seat', more fuel for
training
and practice, and no longer deal with out of date equipment. Weird, no?

Add to that the fact that a fair number were both previous active
military
and in position a lot longer than the bulk of the military, as I
understand
it, and it actually makes sense.

I think you end up with experience and treachery trumping youth and
enthusiasm. ;->=

The down side is, if true, our full timers get(got?) less practice than
'one weekend per month and two weeks per year' warriors.

Still, as Al Franken has pointed out, George Bush won the war with Bill
Clinton's army. I'll leave off the nasty debate coming as to if he'll
win
the peace.

>It's been since late 1970's/early 1980's since I was associated with
USAR
>(After Active USAF) but NG tended then to be more combat and (what we
>then called "Combat Support") and the USAR was more "Support"

Interesting, and a bit weird, given the extra duties that the NG has
taken
up, including disaster relief that sounds more like "support".

Back when I was looking into service, before I was told I was unusable
(childhood illness), I got the impression that the reserves were
strictly
for those who'd previously been in active service, and was in fact an
extension thereof. The guard was open to both 'newbies', and those who'd
previously served, who were VERY actively recruited.

And with that, I apologize for extending this thread. Sometimes, even I
can't resist.

The_Beast