Prev: [FT] For you viewing pleasure... Next: Re: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making

RE: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making

From: "Matt Tope" <mptope@o...>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:02:12 +0100
Subject: RE: [OT] Free CalTex Interplanetary Federation in the making

At least with the old (1000yrs+) system dementia arising from inbreeding
kept the House of Lords from being of any kind of relevance (or threat)
every day life in the UK. Now we catch up with Canadain political
systems...

But at least the Monarchy has some value being the backbone of the UK's
tourist industry and sucking in money from around the world. It's a bit
like
the old Empire days except the wealth comes to us rather than us having
go to it. Not only does such an approach maximise profits but is also
much
more ethicaly sound. In many ways Britain has followed a similar path to
the
Roman Empire when in the 5th century AD it went transnational and became
the
Roman Catholic Church. Ditch Empire, let the cash flow to you.

Then again what should any of us expect from our "democracies" which are
in
fact all "Oligarchies". The only democracy I know of was Ancient Athens
and
look what happened there. In three generations it went from a vibriant
centre of culture and arts to an Imperial superstate to rack and ruin.
Give
me an Oligarchy over a democracy any day. Just wish our politicians
could be
honest about it (I know, I know, how naive of me!).

Sorry, Monday morning cynicism.

Regards,

Matt Tope