Prev: Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question Next: play style and leaving board question / was Re: Classed Weapons

Re: ft-Raiders

From: "david smith" <bifsmith207@h...>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 22:49:52 +0000
Subject: Re: ft-Raiders

>From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com>
>david smith wrote:

. The only real life example of a faily even
>>raider Vs hunter battle that comes to mind is the WW2 graf spey(cant
>>spell) being hunted by the RN cruisers.
>
>KMS Graf Spee, battle happened near the mouth of the River Plate (sp?),

>near Montevideo in S. America.

That was the battle, just didn`t have my reference books handy (also,
busy
on "real life"TM).

>>As to JHs comments about dreadnought BB`s, I have actually designed
and
>>played with all big gun ships, and my fave was using turreted K guns
and
>>multi layered PH armour, to get the WW1 feel.
>
>What did you come up with as a system for turreting K-guns, (in terms
of
>formula for mass and NPV)?  I have been tinkering, but haven't come up
with
>anything satisfactory.

I use a design that allows a ship to have a hull, with the drives
attached,
and 4 secondary hulls that are the turrets which are designed as
separate
ships attached to the main hull with t=1 drives for rotation as the
turrets.
As to which get hit, I use a simple tohit roll with a d6.

>BTW, I always felt that the ablative "armor" of the fleet books is more

>representative of wet navy "underwater protection", like torpedo
bulges,
>wet-dry spaces, and compartmentalized multiple hulls.	MT KraVak
"Integral
>Armor" seemed better to represent the belt and citadel.

I feel the PH armour better to represent the heavier armour Vs heavier
guns
of the DNs/SDs (after all, a 6"CL gun isn`t going to go through the
armour
belt of a KGV class BB is it?).

>PS, any ideas for an "all or nothing" type armor arrangement?

How about the idea I had for the superconducting interweave armour I had
while back (I think it`s in the WDA). Please note, crazy ideas and daft
names my speciallity <G>.

>>As for the other comment about modern navy ships Vs WW2 ships, you
don`t
>>even have to go to that extreem
>
>That was someone else trying to make an OTT example of range advantage.

How about for a range example CVs Vs BBs in WW2.

>>for a example. Just look at the end of WW2, with the carriers
outclassing
>>BBs (thinking of a specific engaugement when the japs decoyed away the
big
>>carrriers, and the BBs managed to get close in restrictive waters in a

>>island chain, name escapes me at the moment).
>
>Leyte Gulf in the Philippines.  But the Japanese decoyed away the
entire US
>task group (CVs, CVBs, BBs, BBFs and fast escorts) and got battleships
and
>battlecruisers to attack CVEs, CLs and DDs off the Leyte landing
beaches.

>The previous day ( I think), another Japanese force of BBs was engaged
at
>Surigao (sp?) Strait (also in Philippines), and got their "T" crossed
by a
>couple of squadrons of older USN BBs (including 6 of the 8
sunk/crippled at
>Pearl Harbor).
>
>The third Japanese task group was turned back at San Bernadino Strait
>(again, Philippines).

It was the second engaugement I was thinking of (like I said, reference
books not handy <G>).

BIF

Hotmail messages direct to your mobile phone
http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile

Prev: Re: FT: Vortex gravity gradient question Next: play style and leaving board question / was Re: Classed Weapons