Prev: RE: Classed Weapons Next: Re: Classed Weapons

T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons

From: Jared Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:48:35 -0500
Subject: T8 B5 BC was Re: Classed Weapons

Laserlight wrote:

>>But it is done with the mechanics of how the weapon operates, not with
the more artificial mass / class formula

>They are both equally artificial.

I didn't say that they weren't both artificial, I just said that one was

more than the other.

>>Q: How many people play on an area this large ?  (as O.O.'s)
>>
>sometimes I play on a 24x48 table (nut then I use 1cm = 1mu); usually
>I play on the livingroom floor.

You mean 24" x 48", right?  That makes it . . . about 60 MU x 120 MU

You play on the LR floor?  What?  No pets or Laserlightlings?
 Furniture?  What happens when the superdreadnought "Ultimate
Devastator" drifts into the Dust Ruffle Nebula or the Infinite Defiance"

is caught in the path of a dust bunny stampede?

neither does the expected damage or the range.	A battlecruiser with,
say, B5 and thrust 8 will kill or drive off any KV ship and never get
scratched.

>>>Doesn't matter.
>>>
>>Your previous posts about Cinematic vs. Vector made it clear that in
>>your opinion it would matter quite a bit.
>>
>No--the tactics will vary but the end result won't.
>
>>My point being that T8 is pretty expensive in terms of relative
portion of the hull and is an unusual feature among capital ships, or
even large escorts.

>So what?  Nothing says it's an unusable combination.

I didn't say "unusable", I said "unusual", as in "uncommon", "rare",
"not the usual".

>>How about on an average table (i.e. 4x6 or 5x8)?  LL made no
stipulation, so it should be relevant to the average, not just special
cases.	If the Human is the pursuer (to quote LL: "kill or drive off"),
the KV can force your human ship off the table if he gets going too
fast, then continue on to blow up your in-system supply base.

>In space, there is no "off table", so that doesn't work.

Yes, but the table * is * limited [at least in this reality : ) ], so
that in each direction there is a limit as to how far apart you can be
and continue the game.	And since we are talking about the scenario for
a game, and not "A Theoretical Treatise on the Relative Advantages of
Class 5 Laser Batteries in Three Dimensional Combat in Infinite Vacuum",

It does become germane.

>>However, I would gladly take a single FB2 KV CL-equiv. Vo'Bok (mass
60, 238 points) into your star system to raid your infrastructure (using
the scenario I described in my previous post) against your proposed ship
on a scrolling, cinematic, 4x6 table with 1 MU =1".

>I personally wouldn't play that kind of game again--done it a few
>times already, and it's boring.  But if you can talk someone else into
>it, I'd be interested to see how many turns it takes.

You proposed it and OO supplied a ship design.	You proposal said a
Thrust 8 battlecruiser with B5 weaponry, and that it would kill or drive

off any KV ship.  That implies a ship dual, not a swarm of piranha
tactic.  It also implies that the scenario encourages the human ship to
engage, no blow past at high V to avoid the engagement.  I chose not to
press the "any KV ship" point and did not suggest  your BC vs a KV SDN
or CVH. OOs ship implies leading a stern chase, but you (LL) never
mentioned that, nor did you specify "only if I have a football field in
which to maneuver".

I am confident that any reasonably thought out scenario's conditions,
the victory will primarily depend on the size of the playing area
(larger to the human tech ship, average to the KV) and whether the
scenario set-up gives the T8 w/ B5 ship the opportunity to use the
tactics OO described.

Prev: RE: Classed Weapons Next: Re: Classed Weapons