Prev: Re: Suggested ships? Next: Fw: GZG ECC

Re: DSII: another OGRE battle

From: Aaron Teske <mithramuse@y...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: DSII: another OGRE battle

Just a few comments on Indy's briefing....
(Indy, cc:ed to you since sometimes my posts don't get through
-- prolly because I'm registered from my "home" account but
sending from yahoo.)

--- Indy <kochte@stsci.edu> wrote:

> I gave Aaron an array of tanks totalling ~7200 DSII points
> (one troop of Size 5 Andromeda super-heavies, 2 Tritan IV
> troops of size-3 MBTs,

Three of those, actually (including my only veteran (orange)
squad; everyone else was green or regular).

> and 5-6 troops of Deimos heavy tanks:

Erm... four.  Total eight squads (troops?) of tanks, three tanks
per squad/troop/platoon/whatever.

>all were GEV
> mobility and had MDCs of the same size class as the tank that
> mounted it along with GMS/Ls, except for the Andromedas, which
> mounted GMS/Hs).

The size-3 buggers didn't have GMS at all, but I don't think it
mattered much.

> With the new rules in place, it was now harder for a force
> to actually *advance* on an Ogre, so Aaron rolled for all
> his tank troops.  As the reaction test was at +3, very few
> troops moved up into better positions. His lone Green 1 MBT

Orange 1.  The greens were the ones with the biggest problems,
thank goodness I didn't have any green 3's. ^_^;

Overall I'd say (and said to Indy, not sure he included it in
his report to John) that the reaction test shouldn't be so much
moving towards the OGRE as it is moving into the fire arc, or
closer to the firing.  Minor point, but makes a bit more sense
and allows players to at least *try* to get flanking maneuvers
going when terrain allows the squads to remain hidden from the
OGRE.

>troop, however, had no problems with
> attempting to circle around behind the Ogre. They would
> spend most of the rest of the game getting into position
> before doubling back on their course
> and getting smashed with an Ogre missile artillery barrage.

..after taking out the last tread module on the OGRE. ^_^

[snip]
>The only thing that bothered us both was
> that the tread modules vanished rapidly when "Boom"ed or
> "Mobility damaged". We thought there should be more
> degradation in the movement before the module totally
> disintegrates. Feedback has already been given to John. :-)

This may need to be countered with slightly reduced armor to
allow more "regular" hits to degrade as well -- I think we
talked about damage over armor also degrading movement by 1",
while a damage result degrades 1" but can be repaired by the
OGRE.

> The battle raged hard, and as the Ogre lost its Main batteries
> (fired maybe 3-4 times total, for no hits)

Though you also forgot that it could fire while damaged, though
you were making repair attempts....

>but in the
> end, immobilized and at medium range, the Ogre's secondary
> modules were also destroyed by GMS/H fire from the Andromeda's
> (who never were brave enough to move from their initial
> position to bring their big guns to bear).

F'in Green 2's in the biggest tanks on the field.... <sigh>

'Course, it *did* keep them alive.

'Til later,
			   Aaron Teske
			   Mithramuse@njaccess.com
			   aka Mithramuse@yahoo.com

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: Suggested ships? Next: Fw: GZG ECC