Prev: Re: FT Newtonian Acceleration Next: [CON] ECC VII - Call for Events

Re: FT Newtonian Acceleration

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:24:42 +0100
Subject: Re: FT Newtonian Acceleration

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 03:14:48PM -0500, Jared Hilal wrote:

>Having slept on the problem of realistic acceleration with vector
>movement, I might have a solution (without needing that 10' cattle prod

>:) )  I'm not clear on Roger's solution, but I think that we are
>thinking along the same lines.

Your system looks as though it has basically the same effect as mine,
but has the problem that you have to work through the manoeuvre sequence
twice. What I suggest uses three separate things - the ship (i.e. the
miniature), the first marker and the second marker - and works something
like this:

* Start with ship's starting position, speed and direction as normal.

* Leave a marker at the starting position. Move the ship marker
(speed/direction) as normal.

* Now, leave the ship there, and take a second marker. Move that marker
through the ship's manoeuvres for this turn.

* Move the ship itself half-way along the line between its current
position and the second marker. That's the final position of the ship.

* Measure the distance and direction from the first marker to the
second marker. That's the final speed and direction, to be recorded for
next turn.

>This is slightly more complicated than the the solution for Cinematic,
>but I don't think it is out of proportion to the complexity difference
>basically inherent between the Cinematic and Vector systems.

I agree, but I suspect that it's disproportionately slow until one gets
used to it.

Roger

Prev: Re: FT Newtonian Acceleration Next: [CON] ECC VII - Call for Events