Prev: Re: Looking for more info about StarGrunt Next: RE: IJN Tugs

RE:IJN Tugs

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:26:19 -0500
Subject: RE:IJN Tugs

Matt:
> Given that tugs (even ocean going tugs) are not particulaly large when
> compared to warships, and that a Tug is primarily engines, could you
get
> away with just attatching the bridge-superstructure from a cruiser or
escort
> to the drive section and leaving it at that?

Birhan:
>Modern tugs don't have much crewspace - they aren't intended for
extended
deployments - you can make two >versions, one with a bulkier
superstructure/bridge area for long term deployments and one with
minimal
>facilities for port/short range tugs.

Small 'reality' check. And, usual codicils concerning use of reality
apply.

Even ocean going tugs are not usually carrying their charges INTO
battle,
and tend to stay away from battle entirely. Also, the FT tugs are
transporting all the way, not pickup a distressed ship and dragging back
nearest safe harbor.

My foggy remembering of most battle descriptions have warships towing
disabled warships out of battle until they can be met by ocean tugs.

Granted, my carrier/tenders have always been, in my PSB larger than most
folks anyway, but I really think you may be going in too much the
opposite
direction. Model it how you will, but the crew on the 'tugs' know they
have
a long trip out, and long one home, much of it potentially in harm's
way.

Now, if you want to do SFB-style warp packs, knock yourself out, but
that
always tended to diminish the cache' of warp to me.

As an aside, in my most battlerider-devoted fleet designs, I never saw
them
as the mainstay of a battle fleet. They were always ways of
strategically
moving defense forces, and the ratio of tender to rider was very small.
My
favorite scenerio designed, but never played, was the tenders bringing
the
last of a squadron of 'system defense boats', and being ambushed before
while still detaching the stowed ships.

*shrug* Even for fighter carriers, I assumed that the staging across
turns
indicated some time to prep and launch. Much more so for riders.

Sorry I didn't get this in sooner; I f*****d up the setting on my mail
client at home. I can read fine, but seem to be sending directly to the
bit
bucket.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Looking for more info about StarGrunt Next: RE: IJN Tugs