Prev: Re: Looking for more info about StarGrunt / Here's you chance to lure me away from the Dark Side :-) Next: IJN

Re: Looking for more info about StarGrunt / Here's you chance to lure me away from the Dark Side :-)

From: Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@a...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:31:17 -0400
Subject: Re: Looking for more info about StarGrunt / Here's you chance to lure me away from the Dark Side :-)

Hi Aaron

I have a report of a SG2 game I played some months ago. It's a big zip
file
with lots of pictures and html files (kind of a slide show of the game
with
comments for each turn).

It is in the Stargrunt section here :
http://www.abacom.com/~ivanohe/game/gaming_e.html

I had played Warhammer 40k some years ago. Sometime, when I feel I
should
play again, I just need to watch a 40k game to understand why I prefer
SG2.
Usually, the 40K games I saw goes like this: Opponents deploy LOTS of
mini
and tanks at about 24" distance. 2 hours later, about half of the minis
are
in close combat. Game ended after that. There is not much maneuver.

When we play SG2, we sometime deploy 5-6 feets appart (on 5x6 table).
SG2
squads move a lot more and I feel the game is less static. Cover is
really
important also. Squad in the open won't last long against squad in hard
cover.

And did I mention the huge pile of rules, codex, FAQ and errata + white
dwarf that the 40K players bring to play? And the discussion about the
effect of that weapons vs. this super tank vs. the new official ruling,
etc...

SG2 is not perfect either. However, it feels more realistic in my
opinion,
and you don't need to remember lots of different stats for weapons and
special rules.

Yves