Prev: Re: Alien Figures? Next: Re: DD'oh

Looking for more info about StarGrunt / Here's you chance to lure me away from the Dark Side :-)

From: "Jalinth" <jalinth@k...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 05:19:59 -0400
Subject: Looking for more info about StarGrunt / Here's you chance to lure me away from the Dark Side :-)

I was at the Canadian GW Games Day in Toronto, and discovered that
Squad-Based Sci-fi Games can be really, really fun. I've played a fair
amount of Warhammer FB with the friend who I went to GD with, (He and
his
brother own the minis, rules, and terrain. I go over there and play.
Works
great for my very slim wallet), but had never played 40k before. It was
WAY
more fun then I figured it would be, but it's also WAY to expensive (12
plastic minis for $40), not to mention it's... very cool relationship
with
anything resembling reality. Though I have to admit that I really do
like
the Tau. Not only do they look good, they are the only faction that is
not a
psychotic declining civilization (plus they have Mecha :-).

I've owned Full Thrust for several years now, and have been lurking on
the
list since I got it, so I know GZG makes good games. What I want to know
is
how SG plays? I'm looking for a game that lacks Chain-Axes and Daemons
(Especially ones that suddenly appear right in front of my troops as
they're
about to escape off the table). If someone(s) could post a report or two
of
a game I would appreciate it. Also if I could get a basic breakdown on
how
the game plays, I would be VERY happy. I don't have a lot of cash (I'm
starting collage in 6 days, 3 hours and 11 minutes) so I want to make
sure
that SGII is the rule set I want before shelling out the money and
trying to
sell it to my normal opponents.

Finally if you could give me a rough cost estimate on how much I would
need
to spend for 1 set of the Rules + enough troops for 1 side in an
equivalent
of a 500pt 40k game (a small skirmish with 2-3 squads taking about an
hour.
At least that's how long my first game took, using a borrowed copy of
the
rules and neither of us playing 40k before. Though we've both played
much
WFB, and many rules are at least similar.)

Other mini games I've played include Battletech, Heavy Gear and bunches
of
RPGs.

Aaron

Prev: Re: Alien Figures? Next: Re: DD'oh