Prev: Virus Next: Re: Virus

Virus Re: Virus?

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:33:23 -0500
Subject: Virus Re: Virus?

>How's everyone else doing with this latest virus?

After being burnt badly by the previous, I've cleaned/had cleaned my
system
well, and the local e-mail admin's efforts to screen nasties seem to be
doing very well. However, as just a 'me too' is a bit rude here, let me
try
a few other replies.

>Does this list block emails containing attachments?

Unfortunately not, last I heard. It's only 'on your honor' to refrain,
and
viruses have no honor. Well, apparently the latest does have some. I've
heard reports that it's an anti-virus to clear blaster-infected
machines.
Too bad it replicates itself so aggressively that it does more harm than
good for local nets.

>I just got an email bounced from the list with a subject "That movie"
>and a small DAT file attached.  Given that I didn't *send* that
>email.....

Apparently, the new virus looks at someone's mail list, call them
User#0,
forges mail From: User#1 To: User#2, so third parties get dragged in,
and
if User#2's mail is rejecting, it gets bounced back to the totally
innocent
User#1. While a new twist to me, seems an obvious way to further cover
tracks.

So much for honor...

The_Beast

PS Please be assured that 'totally innocent' does not hold any blame for
0
or 2; I still blame Bill Gates, and nobody in even Micro$oft listens to
him
anymore, from what I'm told.

Prev: Virus Next: Re: Virus