Prev: Re: Blakes 7 news Next: Re: Need some FT Help with weapon design

Re: Need some FT Help with weapon design

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:51:27 +0200
Subject: Re: Need some FT Help with weapon design

DOC Agren wrote:

>1 of my buddy has a want for a Ship with B3/B4 Firepower but only 12
Range,
>and I have been kicking around the wgt for 1 of these.
>
>What have have is a B3 at Mass of 2 and only allowed 1 arc and a B4 at
Mass
>of 4 and only allowed 1 arc.
>
>Have I made these to 2 Powerful?

On the contrary; they're on the weak side. The "B3" might be OK in
Vector
but looks too weak for Cinematic (single-arc range-12 weapons quite
often
find themselves without anything to shoot at in Cinematic; they're
easier
to aim in Vector), but the "B4" is definitely too weak - compare it with
pair of standard B2 batteries (Mass 4), or for that matter four standard
B1
batteries (also Mass 4) and you'll see why.

>Any thoughts or Ideas on how to better work it?

I've held several sermons on this over the years; I'm afraid that I
won't
have time to re-type them for the next week and a half, but they're in
the
list archives somewhere.

Basically you need to compare the total damage for X points worth of
your
new weapon (plus the hull and engines supporting it) with the same
points
value of existing weapons with similar damage-to-range profiles (in this

case B1s, B2s and Pulser-Cs).

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Blakes 7 news Next: Re: Need some FT Help with weapon design