Prev: Re: (FT,SG) News Break Next: RE: Who is going to GenCon Indianapolis?

Re: (FT,SG) News Break

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:02:22 -0500
Subject: Re: (FT,SG) News Break

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:22:02 +0000, "John C" <john1x@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What would that be, though?  For DSII you can have a Slammers-like air
>defense network, but for Stargrunt?  I can't quite picture an
air-defense
>unit that would be both effective *and* man portable.

First, it doesn't have to be man portable. It could be a vehicle. In
this case
it could be an APC with some sort of chain gun designed to deflect
artillery
rounds or have them detonate too high. Or it could be some sort of
artillery
piece mounted on a vehicle that sets up a detonation above and down the
projected ballistic arc of the artillery rounds. If it's a nasty enough
detonation (perhaps a fuel-air explosive? though I'd hate to be below
it, so
positioning your forces would be a bear) it could prematurely detonate
the
rounds. Then there's the Hammer's Slammers approach, where tanks can
fire
their powerguns at incoming artillery. This could be possible in a
smaller
vehicle, too, if you wanted it.

Second, in 200 years it could be possible to pack an anti-artillery
package
into a missile.

Third, Oerjan mentioned the work on EW units that force artillery rounds
detonate prematurely. Something like that could be man portable and in
the
battlefield area.

>Honest question, by the way, not a criticism.	I rather like the idea,
but
>have no idea how I could represent something like this on the tabletop
in
>SGII scale.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. As I said originally,
this
was just a concept I was working on, one that I never finished (and,
honestly,
at this point probably won't finish).

http://www.hyperbear.com

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know
well!" - Joe Ancis

Prev: Re: (FT,SG) News Break Next: RE: Who is going to GenCon Indianapolis?