Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Book1 SSD's Next: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:56:36 -0500
Subject: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2

***
What DS2 does not represent well is any kind of ablative or degrading
system.  Even an OGRE (in DS@) follows the ping/ping/ping/boom paradigm
of
waiting for a lucky hit rather than gradually degrading its
effectiveness.
***

I thought you got around this by modularizing the OGRE. No comment on
the
point system.

***
 > nest until I knew more. For all they know, every human is a
proto-warrior
 > ready to convert to a blood thirsty killing machine at the slightest
 > provocation...
Heh.  There was a short SF story...
***

Plenty of examples closer to home; it was hyperbole, but the scene from
Pred II in the subway(?) where the gang saunters into the car, only to
have
EVERYONE pull a piece, was funniest because of the slight ring of truth.

In the final analysis, the problem with DS2 doing this kind of thing
isn't
mechanics, especially shielding and the like, but the near modern ethos
associated with the game. For WotW, original Wells fans would want an
opponent by whom Victorian tech is outclassed, but not totally god-like.

For a Vicky Sci Fi, the aliens would be unlikely to think they NEED cbw
protection, as it tended not to be considered a battlefield technique on
Earth at the time, so why pressurize? By WWII, after the horrors of WWI,
YOU BET!

Natch, the idea that humans are more adaptive than the aliens is useful;
'the aliens not only failed to make allowances for cell phones, but
could
not adjust their ancient weapons of carnage in time to avoid the several
ambushes where retreating forces left automatically activating cell
phones.'

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Book1 SSD's Next: Re: War of the Worlds in DS2