Prev: RE: Small Colonies Next: RE: Small Colonies

RE: Small Colonies

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Small Colonies

---snip--

> > Population has been increased by lab-workings and
> > good deals for ScanFed settlers.
>
> Lab-workings? Please clarify.

I don't know the term for it, but I was thinking ...
Argh.. Language barier... Synthetic reproduction...
There was a discussion on the list abut it a while
back.

> ScanFed settlers? Makes good sense, but what's the
> astropolitical [1] status [2] of the colony? Is it:
>
>  a) A ScanFed enclave on an NFR world?
>  b) A sovereign independant state?
>  c) An autonomous element of the NFR?
>
> Option (c) could be along the lines of an open-ended
> lease; the settlers have perpetual title over their
> peninsula in return for defending it (and possibly
> other areas) against the enemies of the NFR.

That was just about how I had pictured it, option c
with a bit of b. :)

---snip--

> If the original unit was armed with ScanFed
> equipment, you need to maintain good relations with
> the minor power in order to keep up the supply of
> ammunition and replacement parts.

Initially they would keep their equipment from the
compville campaign, but I think the logistics involved
would be a bit cumbersome. I was thinking that my boys
used licence-produced modified NSL, NFR and NAC gear
these days.

(NSL PzGr as Heavy inf, NAC troopers as standard inf,
>From Brigade, the Lynx APC, Kochte MBT, Montsabert
MBT, and variants of the above. At least, thats the
plan.)

> > A (very) mineral-rich mountain range?
>
> If it's too rich, a major power will want it anyway.
> As an alternative / addition to the above, the
> entire
> colony may be an NAC-sponsored continuation of the
> original plot to take the planet out of the FSE.
> They
> don't want the NFR to get too independant, after
> all.
> This is a nice way to introduce a balancing force.

Good idea, I'll use that one. :)

> It's possible to refine alcohol-based fuels from
> agricultural products. Low-tech colonies lacking
> fossil deposits may do this, but will oil retain its
> importance in the manufacture of plastics? [4]

I don't know enough about modern or coming synthetic
materials... How do they make other composites?

 You end up with two distinct communities,
> possibly drifting apart. You aleady have the
> beginnings of a navy; guess where the most able
> recruits are going to come from?

I'll buy that argument. Makes sense.

> > Exporting high quality products made from rich
> > mineral finds?
>
> This makes more money than selling on the raw ore,
> but it takes time and money to build factories,
> train
> up a local workforce and establish markets.

I wanted the robotic factories to reduce the level of
skilled workforce needed. The money, however... I
don't know how the NFR would value freedom. :)

> Manufacturing your own equipment will not be a
> short-
> term project unless you get an off-the-peg solution
> from the NAC. What nationality do your figures
> depict?

See above. :)

Thanks!
/Johan

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Prev: RE: Small Colonies Next: RE: Small Colonies