Prev: RE: [eBay] White Stars Price Problem + Last Day Next: Re: Small Colonies

Re: Small Colonies

From: "Sylvester M. W." <xveers@h...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:27:18 -0700
Subject: Re: Small Colonies

> Hello folks!
>
> A lurker speaks up again!

Allo' from a fellow lurker!

> What could make that small colony be a viable
> economical base to support a medium tech mechanized
> force (Hover Vehicles, liquid propellant rifles, HKPs
> and Missiles no grav, no PA) of a brigades size in
> total? Plus a fairly outdated fleet of 2 destroyers, 4
> frigates and a battalions worth of transports? Only a
> Battalion will at any time be off planet and drawing
> in some cash. A (very) mineral-rich mountain range?
> Fossilised fuels? Colony controlled asteroid/moon
> mining? Exporting high quality products made from the
> rich mineral finds?

One thing your mini colony would probably do to make life easier for
itself
is to snag either a decently sized asteroid or a really small moon ,
since
it offers a myriad of possibilites for your colony. You get a decent
source
of basic raw materials already in orbit which saves you resources for
boosing them out of the planet's grav well. You get extra space to
expand
your colonists into eventually. You also get a secure fleet anchorage
and
the ability to have a decent repair dock. Granted you can have the
latter
two without it, but it makes life far easier since you can exploit the
asteroid or moon right there.

I say small moon because you want it to have a weak enough grav field so
that your ships can land on it without any problems. Realistically
you're
looking at a Phobos or Demos sized moon (which is pretty much a big
asteroid). You can also have your little asteroid be a resupply station
(think galactic Gas an' Go). Not too much money to be made there, but
perhaps enough to make help the base break even in costs.

Another nice thing is that once you're in zero-g you can automate
production
far more easily than planetside. You can have a few small automated
factories cranking out munitions and arms as you need them (also
provides
for some interesting scenario ideas as well). And hey, if the plant goes
boom, you'll lose a few workers and the factory. It goes boom planetside
and
you have to explain to the Eckermans why they can't go home. Ever.

But I disgress. Those are my suggestions. If you want any elaboration,
just
post back to the ML.