Prev: Re: Who is going to GenCon Indianapolis? Next: Re: Wargames Stores

RE: What's wrong with SF?

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:36:18 -0500
Subject: RE: What's wrong with SF?

Having been flamed for pointing out problems with historical gaming
'attitudes' and the effects on potential gamers, I strongly want to take
the other side this time. I have great admiration for folks able to
watch a
WWII film, and twitch when a tank 'just doesn't look right'. Mind you, I
twitch when a Sherman is run as a Tiger. ;->=

People who are able to know the envelope made of politics, society,
climate, geography, etc., that surrounds a game situation add to the
game
experience. This can enoble the activity. The only problem I have is
with
an air of distain of a few that may accompany such love. When a grognard
waxes lyric, eyes glowing, about the actual shortage of ammo for Germans
following D-Day, I listen entranced. He just needs to respect my wanting
learn without demeaning my ignorance.

The main problem I have with the attitude turned on SF is that I've seen
plenty of lackluster, flatly portrayed micro armor battles, while the
whole
Rot Hofen story and associated battles show that a compelling 'story'
can
be presented with SF gaming.

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Who is going to GenCon Indianapolis? Next: Re: Wargames Stores